Skin can tell a lot about a person. What is your skin saying about you? Whether it is oily, dry, itchy or peeling, it could signify a problem on the inside. To improve the look and feel of your skin, try a home skin remedy to soothe what ails you.
Did you know?
Skin is the largest organ of the body, did you know? And, it happens to be on the outside of it as well. That thin layer of tissue acts as a natural protector from many environmental and infectious organisms that would seek to gain entry to the body. Like an insect has a hard exoskeleton, we have a soft one that is designed to do the same thing.
Skin can also reflect what is going on inside the body. It has pores that allow for the exchange of air, water and oils. When the body tries to get rid of harmful substances, the skin is one way to externalize them. Have you seen whiteheads? They are white because they are filled with oils and other substances the body is trying to remove.
What does your Skin look like?
We all strive for normal healthy skin but can be affected by different skin conditions from time to time. The condition can depend on the environment, genes, stress, chemicals or something entirely different.
Dry skin is a common ailment. Every organ of the body needs moisture for growth and maintenance. The body contains over 80 percent water. But, some is lost through urination, sweat and respiration. Replenishing that water is a daily need. When you donвЂ™t skin can look dull, lifeless and become inflamed due to the lack of hydration.
Oily skin can be a problem especially on the face. Even when itвЂ™s cold outside, your face is still shining from the excess oil being secreted onto it. Too much oil can clog pores leading to more severe skin conditions like acne, even in adulthood. Certain hormonal imbalances can also increase oil production in the skin.
Do you feel like you will rub your skin raw? The itching is getting the better of you. Itchy skin can be the result of allergies, contact dermatitis, chemicals, genes or the environment. Scratching with the fingernails can damage skin and leave it scarred.
Are you peeling your skin like you would peel an orange? For an orange, itвЂ™s okay but for your skin, it can compromise this protective barrier allowing all sorts of invaders to gain access. Peeling can be due to sunburns, wind, and chemicals. The most common cause, however, is overexposure to the sun.
Top 10 Home Skin Remedies
No matter what is bothering your skin, home remedies can be used as the first line of treatment. If skin issues persist or get increasingly worse, consult a dermatologist. But, since they are all-natural, itвЂ™s worth a go.
1. Aloe Vera вЂ“ These beautiful green succulent plants have many uses. If you own an aloe plant, break off a leaf tip and squeeze the juice on peeling skin that has been sunburned. Rub the gel on itching skin to begin the healing process of returning moisture to it.
2. В В Drink more fluids вЂ“ Because skin is one the outside of the body, it needs more hydration than most. Water is the best to drink, but you can have tea, juices and coffee. Try to avoid the caffeinated kind as caffeine can be a diuretic and further sap your skin moisture.
3. В В Oatmeal вЂ“ Add some plain oatmeal to warm bath water to alleviate itchy skin. It is often used for allergic skin conditions but will work for any other cause as well.
4. В Use an all natural scrub вЂ“ Mix finely ground almonds with honey and gently rub all over your face and rough skin spots. Continue for about 15 minutes with a warm wash cloth and then rinse off. This can help remove excess oil from the face.
5. В Baking soda вЂ“ It can help with many skin ailments. For itchy skin, sprinkle it in a warm bath and go for a long soak. Mix with a little bit of water to create a paste and rub on itchy unbroken skin.
6. В Apple cider vinegar вЂ“ It is acidic and can reduce the shine and the amount of oil on your face when used as an astringent. Pour some on a cotton ball and wipe all over the oily areas of your face.
7. В Avocados вЂ“ Use the oil or create a paste from fresh ones and apply to the skin to help restore some of the moisture to dry skin.
8. В Cucumber вЂ“ They can reduce swelling around the eyes and prevent peeling skin. Chop them up in a food processor and then smooth it on your sunburned skin for cooling relief.
9. В Mint juice вЂ“ Crush up some fresh mint leaves with a mortar and pestle until you begin forming juice. Spread the juice over the skin to provide hydration and prevent peeling and dryness.
10. В Juniper berries and cloves вЂ“ Juniper berries have anti-inflammatory properties to fight itchy skin. Cloves contain a substance called вЂњeugenolвЂќ that has a numbing effect on nerves.
Create this remedy by melting beeswax and unsalted butter in two separate pans and then combining them together with ground juniper and ground cloves. Applied the cool mixture to itchy skin.
Skin is an important part of the body and plays a crucial role in keeping the entire body healthy. Natural home skin remedies can improve its look, feel, and integrity. Look no further than your kitchen to get started.